Provide a unified industry understanding of the functional safety requirements for mobile autonomous equipment.
The project aims to not only clearly define what functional safety is for mobile autonomous equipment, but also identify who is responsible for it, create a collective view of minimum requirements, and present general guidance on testing and verifying it.
This project has three primary objectives:
1. Provide an industry platform for sharing lessons from near-misses and to manage functional safety
2. Develop guidelines for:
- A common framework for managing functional safety
- A cross-acceptance process for certification of systems or applications
- Operators expectations, assurance documentation requirements, including for OEM’s to meet safety duty of care
- A standard set of safety functions and parameters that would influence the safety integrity and performance requirements
3. Produce a White Paper on the common purpose of the standards including their constraints
The mining industry is embracing automation, but mobile automation technologies are still in the early stages of technology development. As a result, there lacks clear guidance and industry alignment on requirements for managing functional safety because:
- Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are at varying stages of maturity
- Existing standards are not explicitly developed for automating mining equipment
- Regulatory authorities do not provide specific guidance on the requirements
Overall, there is general confusion over which standards to follow, and this project will offer much-needed clarity and direction.
ABB, Airobotics, Alex Atkins & Associates, Ambuja Cements, AMOG Consulting, BHP, Cadia Valley Operations, Calibre Global, Canadian Natural Resources, Canary HLE, Caterpillar, CITIC Pacific Mining, CSA Group, Edge Case Research, Epiroc, Finning, Fortescue Metals Group (FMG), Gold Fields, Government of Alberta, Haultrax, Hitachi, Imperial Oil, JDS Mining and Energy, JVA, KMC Mining, Komatsu, Laing O’Rourke, Liebherr, Maclean Engineering, Marcus Punch Pty., METS Ignited, Minetec, Ministry of Energy and Mines, Ministry of Labour, Modular Mining Systems, Newmont, NIOSH, Ontario Ministry of Labour, Phoenix Contact, Proudfoot, RCT, Riivos, Rio Tinto, Rock-Tech, Sandvik, SAP Asia, Scania, Schneider Electric, Seyo, SMS Equipment, Stantec, Suncor, Symbiotic Innovations, Syncrude, Teck, Whitehaven Coal